- Self-directed and -motivated Ruby and PHP developer.
- Experienced with building and managing websites including bespoke projects and e-commerce, and working with clients to deliver requested products.
- Works well as a participant, facilitator or leader of teams and groups.
- Has lived abroad (Middle East, West Africa), including three years with the US Peace Corps, and is comfortable working across cultural divides.
- Liberal arts degree, including study of classical languages and music, western thought, mathematics and sciences.
- Well-read, articulate individual capable of clear self-expression orally or in writing.
- Proponent of the open source movement; avoids proprietary software.
08/ 2014 – Present
02/ 2013 – 07/ 2014
- Web Development company specializing in developing custom Ruby/Rails solutions for Peace Corps posts worldwide
- Offers HostedPost, the managed DigitalPost solution developed by John Brown while at Peace Corps|Sénégal
- In the role of sole developer and designer, worked with staff and Volunteers at Peace Corps|Sénégal to develop project concepts, visualize initial design, prototype, test and release the DigitalPost web application.
- As technical consultant, worked with staff to find appropriate solutions to technical challenges.
- Worked with PHP/Apache/MySQL using XAMPP on a MacBook Pro
- Developed Rails apps using VirtualBox Debian/Ubuntu
- Ruby/Gem management using RVM
- Primary Projects:
- Manages Peace Corps post online presence/assets
- See portfolio for technical information
- Google Accounts/Apps Administration
- Managed suite of Google resources, including permissions, curation, and technical configuration
- Unreleased Projects
- Local Language Dictionary
- Simple wiktionary aimed at technically inexperienced native speakers of local languages in the developing world (https://github.com/brownjohnf/talktome)
- Ruby/Rails app
- Omniauth/Devise/CanCan user authentication
- Google Public Data Explorer Volunteer reporting data
- Experimented with the Dataset Publishing Language (DSPL) to display Peace Corps|Sénégal Volunteer reporting data
- Support ticket system
- Ruby/Rails app designed for two-way 'support' tickets between Peace Corps Volunteers and staff.
- Enforces a 1-1 initiator/responder model to force transparency and accountability
- Developed photos and videos for promotional and educational purposes, using Final Cut Pro and Adobe Photoshop
Agroforestry Extension Agent, Peace Corps | Sénégal08/ 2009 – 02/ 2010
Teacher & Touchstones Advisor, Brummana High School, Lebanon09/ 2008 – 03/2009
Saint Johns College, MD08/ 2004 – 05/ 2008
Bachelor of Arts, Liberal Arts
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Rackspace Hosting & Email services
- French (conversational)
- Sereer (West-African local language, conversational)
- Ruby (proficient)
- SQL (proficient)
- HTML/HAML/CSS/SASS/SCSS, etc.